Friday, August 10, 2007

Stupid Customer Service "Innovations"

I'm on hold right now with MacMall. Here's why: I placed an order with them. They called me while I was on another call and my account manager left a message asking me to call him about my order.

So I did, and I got a brief message saying, "I'll be right with you, I apologize," and now I'm on hold waiting for him. My guess is that he's on another call or something. 

I've been on hold eight minutes. You know, I would have been happy to leave a voicemail and get a call back; I, like him, have other things going on during my day.

I imagine somebody thought this would be a great way to avoid playing voicemail tag. Instead, I'm getting this message loud and clear from MacMall: your time is worthless. Please wait until we have time to talk to you. 

Oh, and of course, I gave them an email address when I placed the order, so why couldn't they just email me and let me know what's going on? 

Stupid, stupid, stupid. I just keep reminding myself that I'm saving a decent bit of money over ordering from the Apple Store directly. It's not making me wish I'd chosen differently, though.

(I just got a person. He was calling to make sure I downloaded the rebate forms. That's nice, but emailing them would have solved the problem. Now I'm being sent to the credit department to verify the information that I gave them  already, and to discover that despite sending me an order confirmation with the correct shipping address, they now have changed it to my credit card billing address. Jeez. What a mess and a waste of my time. I've ordered from them before without this kind of hellishness, too.)

2 comments:

Belle said...

So why didn't you just go through Apple? Not snarking, just curious.

Anonymous said...

I saved hundreds of dollars and the machine will arrive with Parallels Desktop and Win XP Pro pre-installed. It's a really good deal, despite the annoyance of the process. (They've called two more times to confirm the shipping address. Sigh.)