Monday, January 15, 2007

Everything Old is New Again

I used to be an AT&T Wireless customer. Then they became Cingular. And now... 

AT&T will launch its largest-ever ad campaign today (Monday), geared toward absorbing Cingular Wireless into the AT&T brand. Television spots will include both the AT&T and Cingular logos- as well as imagery and phrases (such as "raising the bar" and the "Jack" character) from Cingular's ads in an attempt to integrate them into the AT&T brand.

About 2,000 Cingular-owned wireless retail outlets will begin to adopt AT&T branded signage, and 15,000 store employees will begin wearing uniforms adorned with the AT&T brand, writes AdWeek (via MediaBuyerPlanner). POP kiosks will also adopt AT&T-branded signage.

All that "AT&T is now Cingular" branding work... all for naught.

What's most interesting is that I like being a Cingular customer, but I loathe being at AT&T customer. Not that this actually changes my mobile service a bit, other than to make me feel resentful when I pay the bill.

I guess we can just hope that the former Cingular doesn't adopt AT&T's customer service (sorry, we don't have that) or privacy (we'll ask you what you want, then spam you anyway!) policies.

No comments: