Monday, November 06, 2006

11:00 - 11:04 - Scheduled Unstructured Time

Today was a day where it seemed like I barely had time to refill my coffee cup, which is why I so appreciated a piece on MarketingProfs called Have You Scheduled Your Goofing-Off Time Today?

I goof off almost every day.

In fact, when I'm very busy, as I have been lately, I work very hard to incorporate some goofing-off time in my schedule. Usually it's just a few minutes here and there, between projects or during a fit of writer's block. Nevertheless, this time is invaluable to me....

The author's point is that spending some time looking at things because they are interesting and engaging, not because they are relevant to your job. Why? It makes you smarter.

This is why I have such a hard time reading business books. I do read them, because some of them are quite good. But when I can finally grab a little time to actually sit with a book, I find myself desparate to read a novel, not a book about marketing.

So I balance it out, and keep some business books in the mix - but make sure that my reading feeds the rest of my brain, too.

No comments: